Monday, December 7, 2009

The Verdict...

I hate to say it, but the verdict on Disney's "The Princess and the Frog" is a big thumbs down. Nevermind the racial stereotypes that are all over the place (white people are wealthy and run society, black people are stuck serving the white aristocracy, black people are less educated than white people, etc.), the movie was downright scary for any kid under that age of 10 or 12. Voodoo, ghosts, demons from hell (literally!), monsters trying to eat the main characters every other minute...the theater was filled with crying kids. After I got Miss M to calm down from the first scare, a second one came no less than 5 minutes later and she started crying "I want go home!" Poor baby. That was all I needed to hear. We left half way through. Luckily she's pretty resilient and we were close to Rockefeller Center so we went to see the big Christmas tree while we waited for the second part of the show to open: The Princess Ball.

This part was SO MUCH fun for her. Disney rented the Roseland Ballroom (around the corner from the theater) and had every princess Disney has ever created there in person for the kids to meet and get their pictures with. She was in AWE and her little mouth was wide open as she met Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Belle, and the gang. Was very cool and we got lost of pics.

Daddy had to get in on the action as well. Some of those princesses were pretty damn cute! I'm proud to say that the cutest one in my opinion looked nothing like Barbie as I've discussed in a previous post. Pocahontas won the Hot Princess Award and it was for more than her loin cloth. Beautiful long black hair, olive skin, brown eyes...everything Barbie is not. Who knows folks, maybe I'm growing! :) I didn't ask her for the number to her teepee though. Still seeing Hot Girl so kept my admiration to myself.

After that we jumped in a cab and went to see Santa at Macy's. Again, mouth open, total awe. Being three, she "gets" Christmas now...at least, that she's going to "get" on Christmas. Every morning she wakes up and runs to the tree looking for presents! Funny.

Overall, we had a terrific week and a half together. She's really taken with my family which I'm so happy about. Her mother's family is such a mess and mostly overseas. Having my family show her how families love and support eachother is important to me. It's one of the reasons I decided to divorce her mother: I didn't want Miss M to think that what was going on in our house was how things are supposed to be.

She talked about family all week and has been asking a ton of questions. It did bring up the "why aren't Mommy and Daddy together" subject. Not directly, but at drop off at her mother's she said "Daddy stay here!" and did the same last night when her mother dropped her off. Makes me sad but I guess that's the choice we've made. Lesser of two evils for sure.

It's nice to be back in the Blogworld. Ma and Pa Big City Dad have such an old computer that it was impossible for me to post or even read emails. I'm looking forward to seeing what my cyber friends have been up to.

7 comments:

Mass Hole Mommy said...

I agree about the lesser of 2 evils thing. My oldest is 5 and he still cries about it sometimes. My 2 year old was only a few months old when their dad left, so he has no memories of dad living here, but it's hard on my older son. It's terribly sad, but it is absolutely for the best.

Candice said...

I'm glad you had a good time with your little one. Sounds like you both made some really sweet memories.

I'm also not surprised with your verdict on the Disney movie. I figured they would take that route. Typical.

Momma Sunshine said...

Rats. Sorry to hear the movie was a bust. I was really excited to be taking my two girls over the holidays (they're 4 and 6). Hm. I might have to re-think that idea, based on what you've said...

Senorita said...

Honestly, the stuff Disney peddles nowadays just doesn't cut it. I stopped liking stuff Disney made after The Lion King.

Before that every new movie such as Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid made my day.

Please forgive me but every time you refer to yourself as Daddy I have to giggle a little. Especially since Daddy had to get in on the action.

Bad, bad Daddy indeed, lol......

Danielle said...

Glad to hear the Ball was great. That does suck about the movie, but thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

You know, I have to say. It's SO attractive to me just how good of a daddy you are.

And I once blogged about a topic regarding Disney. Ever notice barely anyone has a mother? And if so, it's the evil stepmother. Sometimes mom's die in Disney movies - Bambi, Nemo, for example. But most of the movies don't even HAVE mom's - Pinocchio, Dumbo, Cinderella (evil stepmom), Little Mermaid ...

jenn said...

Sorry to hear that the movie was awful. But I'm glad you mentioned it because I was going to take Shiloh (age 3) tonight. She's already going through a stage where she's scared of everything, so I won't be taking her to the movie. Oh well...

Post a Comment