Thursday, November 19, 2009

Daddies and their Little Girls


I love that picture. Yes, that is my little girl holding Daddy's hand. We still do that a lot.

There's not much I can say I wouldn't have imagined that I would do for my daughter. I've always been really child oriented and have wanted a big family for as long as I can remember. There are certain things though, that that just never crossed my mind that have become routine. Most of them are really fun and silly, and given my stature (I'm not a small man), they must be hilarious to watch. Being a Single Daddy though, most, but not all, of them occur when it's just the two of us. For everyone's benefit (yes, I can laugh at myself) I thought I'd you a glimpse of the "non-manly" things I do for my daughter's amusement.
  • We love to play Princess. Thing is, Daddy is the Princess. Miss M puts the pink jeweled crown and earrings on Daddy and shrieks with joy "Daddy, you so boootiful!!!" I can thank my parents for those gifts.
  • Daddy can recite virtually every line in the movies "Tinkerbell," and "Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses." What man can say that???
  • If it will help Miss M stay in her seat while riding a crowded NY City Bus on the way to school, Daddy will sing out loud "The Wheels on the Bus" for as long as Miss M wants. Daddy has a REALLY bad singing voice and sings for no one.
  • Miss M has started taking ballet and tap dance and loves to practice in the living room. Of course, Daddy is required to follow along and can do a plié or get into fifth position on command. The fact that I know what those are is just scary.
  • Last night, Daddy gave a somersault show in the living room, just because it made us laugh. Thought I was going to throw up.
  • Our new favorite game: Horsie. Now, for you traditional manly men like myself, this isn't the bouncing knee game or even riding on Daddy's back like a horse (although that is a small component). Miss M has decided that Daddy is her pet horsie, to be led around the apartment and the apartment building (yes, I said building) to perform tricks and whinny on command. She LOVES this one.

I know you Daddies out there understand. What ever makes them giggle and be happy.

Any fun games that you have to share? I could always add to the arsenal.

13 comments:

Momma Sunshine said...

You're a great dad. Your daughter is going to grow up with a lot of wonderful memories. :)

Mass Hole Mommy said...

I end up playing horsie with my boys a lot, however. And I do end up being the horsie on all fours with a 50 lb five year old and a 30 lb two yr old on my back. No wonder my whole body always hurts!

Anonymous said...

This all sounds just right. Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing. And doing it beautifully.

BLW

MindyMom said...

This post makes me sad, sad for all my daughter is missing out on because her father is such a douchebag. He actaully chooses to be that way instead of experiencing the joys of fatherhood that you describe here.

Your daughter is a very lucky little girl.

Danielle said...

I agree with Mindy. Although I am very happy that you are such a great dad, I am sorry that my daughter will not know that connection with hers.
But good for you. It is amazing isn't it?

Senorita said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am now your humble follower.

I went to NYC for the first time in late September. I posted my pictures and wrote all about my last minute weekend there. I had such a blast. NYC is a wonderful city.

Did you say that you are a manly man ? Big and muscular ? Ooh, so hawt !

Unknown said...

Horsie is good for many years. I would take each one of my kids to bed that way. They got there own personal trip around the house and then into bed.

good times... good times.

Anonymous said...

My girl loves "tickle whoopin's" as her dad calls them. He just tickles the shit out of her till she can't stand it anymore, then he throws her over his shoulder and runs around with her. :)

Mindy's comment made me sad. Ugh.

Big City Dad said...

Yeah, Mindy and Danielle's comments made me sad too, but remember, if it was all perfect we'd still be married. My Ex, while good with Miss M when she's with her, dumps her on babysitters often even though she only has 50% custody. What's worse is she does it behind my back so that I don't have the opportunity to spend that time with Miss M, which I totally would. You two sound like great Moms, so your kids have that. As single parents it's our job to do the best we can and hopefully that provides a bit of compensation for what they're missing out on from the other side.

said...

I heart your comment in response to Mindy and Danielle's. I love those ladies. I love all the single mommies that commented here!

This is such an awesome post. Good for you for showing those humble traits that your little girl will look for in her own man one day.

NYC Single Mom said...

Keep on doing what you are doing. You are doing a great job. I dont know if you are into sports but I would not hesitate to introduce her to sports you love. I was the oldest child, my brother did not come until 10 years later so my sister and I still have fond memories of being introduced to football by my dad. I cherish the memories of us watching the games together. It is the one thing that bonded us as my sister and I became stereotypical moody, uncommunicative teenagers. At least we had sports as a safe topic. Just a suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Okay, that post was just so made for the big screen! I'm not being facetious. As I read it I could see each instance in my mind as though part of a movie about a single dad and his daughter. Wow. Yeah, I got a little weepy...
Keep it up! She's lucky to have you.

Daddy's Girl said...

The relationship with my dad means everything to me. I grew up without a mom because she left my sisters and i at a very young age. people have no idea what she put us all through.. i dont know where i would be with out my dad so i am thankful that he loves my sisters and i as much as he does because without him i would be lost, i would be a mess.

Post a Comment